The building that now houses the Curitiba Mall is closely linked to the history of the city. The site was the headquarters of the Command of the 5th Military Region of the Brazilian Army. Designed in 1886, the construction followed the parameters of the military style of early 20th century. With straight lines and some details in semi-arches, particularly in windows that have large openings to keep the lighting. For its characteristics and historical importance the barracks became a unit of interest in historical preservation. In late 1989 the property was sold by the Brazilian Army to become the Curitiba Mall (opened September 25, 1996).