The square was defined in 1874 and received in 1878 the name of Largo Oceano Pacifico. It was renamed General Osorio Square since 1879. Situated at Curitiba downtown, it marks the beginning of Comendador Araújo St., Vicente Machado Av. and Luiz Xavier Av.
Its clock, restored in 1993, shows the official hour of the city, recalling the first one installed there. It is one of the most arborized square of the city.