The arrival of the Marist Brothers in Curitiba was conducted by the diocesan bishop D. João Francisco Braga in 1924. The work of the first Marist Brothers began on December 24, 1924 and the school on January 15, 1925, the then Institute Santa Maria, with 3 teachers and 46 students, coming to the end of that year with 102 students.
The physical space of the school, at Rua 15 de Novembro, next to Teatro Guaira, became small. In the 1980s, a new and appropriate location for the installation of a modern school, that meets the most advanced education systems was found. So in 1984, the old Santa Maria school was moved to its present building, near the São Lourenço Park, an area with 55,000 m2 and 22.000m2 of built area, situated in a pleasant place, with an area that has green woods contrasting with a modern structure.
The former headquarters of the Santa Maria School at 15 de Novembro was split. The building that contained the chapel (a neoclassical style building dated of 1939) was donated to the city of Curitiba by Walmart. Workers, architects specializing in areas such as cenotecnia, acoustics and reverberation, restorers, engineers and technicians of the Municipality of Curitiba participated in one of the most anticipated changes in the city: the building that once housed the Chapel of the Santa Maria school and the building where rooms were once classrooms has been fully restored, transforming it into a concert hall with 278 places specially dedicated to classical music.
The space became the home of the Camerata Antiqua of Curitiba, orchestra founded in 1974 that today, in this genre, is the most important in Brazil. The Camerata uses the space for both rehearsals and for classical music presentations.