The Braz Hotel is a symbol of hospitality in Curitiba. Opened in 1930 at Tiradentes Square, owned at that time by the Portuguese couple Maria and Francisco Braz. The current building at Boca Maldita was completed in 1941. It was one of the most important Hotel in Curitiba in the 50's, for hosting politicians and was the scene of many political rallies, including one of President Getúlio Vargas in 1950. It was shut in 1978 and reopened by the Group Slaviero in 1991.