quarta-feira, 31 de março de 2010
terça-feira, 30 de março de 2010
segunda-feira, 29 de março de 2010
The following text can be found at the web site of the prefecture: "On March 29, 1693, the master-settler Matheus Leme Martins, to crown the "calls for peace, quietness of the common people", promoted the first election to the City Hall Council and the installation of the Town, as required by the Portuguese Ordinances. He then founded the town of Nossa Senhora da Luz dos Pinhais, after renamed as Curitiba.
It also interesting to recall a story involving the historian Romário Martins. On March 28th, 1906, Alfredo Romário Martins, a respectable alderman and a historian, decided to propose to the City Council the date March 29th, 1693 as the day that the city was founded. In fact the date marks the day the City Council was created and other administrative positions, implementing thus, justice on the spot. It is controversial the choice of this date as the date of the founding of Curitiba, because prior to that date key figures in the history of Curitiba, such as EbanoPereira, Mateus Leme, Baltazar Carrasco dos Reis and Gabriel de Lara are mentioned on documents referencing their activities as the creation of Vilinha in 1648, the transfer of the vilinha to what is now the Praca Tiradentes in 1654, applications for land allotments in 1661 and the lifting of the pillory in 1668 .
But regardless of age, Curitiba is a very special city to live, work and study. Congratulations to Curitiba and congratulations to all who lives here.
domingo, 28 de março de 2010
sábado, 27 de março de 2010
sexta-feira, 26 de março de 2010
quinta-feira, 25 de março de 2010
quarta-feira, 24 de março de 2010
Teatro Guaira (1948).
In the design of the Teatro Guaira, the access route from the entrance at street level to the auditorium on the second floor is a resource used by the Beaux Arts academies also inherited by Le Corbusier and Oscar Niemeyer. Meister developed a self-taught method of acoustics and theater projects based on foreign literature. The small auditorium of 504 seats, the "Guairinha", was inaugurated in 1954 and the large auditorium for 2174 spectators, was inaugurated in 1974.
Reitoria Auditoriums of UFPR University (1956).
The auditorium of the Central Office of UFPR with 700 seats, has a peculiar spatial arrangement: the main access is placed at the bottom of the audience. The large glasses of the hall allow a clear view of the Rua XV de Novembro.
Centro Politécnico da UFPR (1956).
The Centro Politécnico of the UFPR was Meister’s great project. It was inspired by the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. The set of buildings adopted similar proposal for implementation of the blocks in the spirit of functionalism. The main administration building with five floors stands out.
terça-feira, 23 de março de 2010
Public Library of Paraná (1951).
Perfectly placed in the urban landscape in Curitiba, the Parana Public Library can be considered the main work of Romeo da Costa. It expresses the transition and the synthesis of the Classic Rationalism with the concepts of the Modern Movement. For the project, Romeo Coast traveled to Rio de Janeiro to improve his knowledge with the assistance of competent librarians. The project adopts solutions in tune with the concepts of the Modern Movement, with emphasis on horizontal lines and a facade dominated by brises. There were created two lateral appendages to accommodate a children's library and an exhibition space. The execution time, eight months, was a record and it was opened on December 19th, 1954.
Banco Comercial do Paraná Building (1953).
After the project of the Banco Comercial do Parana Building, Romeu da Costa "got over" the Art-Deco and "assumed" the principles of the Modern Movement. The mandatory implementation of covered galleries at Rua XV with the intention to increase the area of the sidewalk, suggested the stilts solution proposed for this building of apparent pillars and modulated window frames executed in metal. The use of brises complements the absorption of "Le Corbusier" principles.
Synagogue Francisco Frischmann (1959).
The Jewish community invited Romeo Coast to project the Francisco Frischmann Synagogue. The terrain, despite its small size, is situated at a particular urban situation: between two streets, with a third face to a small square. The building uses the straight lines of the "miesiano” functionalism and there are brises installed on the eastern side facing the square.
segunda-feira, 22 de março de 2010
Nelson Imthon Bueno House (1958).
Due to the use of the sloping ground proposed by Linzmeyer his project won the owner’s preference among other designers. The urban lot, which width is much greater than its depth, led to a solution that almost stuck in the house to the neighbor lots, giving linearity to the solution.
Osmar Seyler de Camargo (1963).
In this project, Linzmeyer also took advantage of the sloping ground to use the lower floor to the garage and living spaces, taking advantage of the north face of the land and the existing natural forest.
Edgar Barbosa Ribas House (1967).
As a gazebo, the house is located at the higher point of the lot. The contrast between concrete eaves and the large frames of wood is characteristic of the aesthetics of Leo Linzmeyer’s architecture.
domingo, 21 de março de 2010
Edifício Aurora (1964).
Jaime developed this project in partnership with Edson Panek, while he was still studying architecture, the Aurora building took advantage of the geometry of the corner lot.
The Independência Condominium, with 128 apartments, contains blade buildings, with two apartments per floor, and the H shape buildings with four apartments per floor. The construction technique, using pre-cast slabs of concrete, brick order patent, cast iron, aimed at the durability and efficiency of implementation.
Cosmos Condominium (1974).
The Cosmos Condominium, with one hundred apartments divided into four towers was designed inspired by Voisin and Le Cobusier. Colored steel tiles were used as lining of the sills of the facades and these buildings introduced to the city, prefabricated fire escapes of reinforced concrete, with design in low relief.
sábado, 20 de março de 2010
Souza Naves Building (1953).
The Souza Naves Building was a result of the partnership between Elgson Ribeiro Gomes and Adolf Heep. The project was done to serve the Institute for Pension and retirement benefits of Paraná (IPAS). The exchange of the iron frames to aluminum in 1981, provoked outrage by the architects of Curitiba and the interventions in 1995 decharacterized the volume of the entrance hall.
Itália Building (1962).
The Itália Building with its curved facade, allowed the best use of the rooms facing the street. As a result, the building earn its own personality in the urban landscape. In Itália Building project, the architect used the law to advance 1.2 meters over the alignment of the site.
Provedor André de Barros Building (1969).
The Provedor André de Barros is a building that stands out in the urban landscape of Curitiba. It is part of a set of apartment buildings where the architect has practically exhausted the proposed design of the inner area (30 to 600 square meters). The treatment that Elgson and Heep have done to the casings and sills of the balconies, allows us to draw a parallel between their apartment buildings and housing units in Marseille (1946) and Firminy-Vert (1960) of Le Corbusier.
sexta-feira, 19 de março de 2010
Marcos Axelrud House (1953).
quinta-feira, 18 de março de 2010
João Bettega House, today Artigas Institute (1944).
The João Bettega house contains, in small scale, the vocabulary of the architect, including the promenade architectural and the use of vivid colors. The house was established on high ground and criticized by the population. Artigas sought to interfere as little as possible at the natural terrain. The house was resolved within a rectangular prism, with modulated distribution of pillars, on two floors, with space for by double headroom and connected by ramps so as to allow all environments facing north. Restored in 2004, it was transformed into Artigas Artigas.
Hospital São Lucas (1945)
In his project for São Lucas Hospital in Curitiba, Artigas interprets the purist ideas of Le Corbusier's, as an independent structure, tape windows and blocks connected by ramps. It is location on high ground and corner marks the urban landscape.
Edgard Niclewicz House (1978).
quarta-feira, 17 de março de 2010
Kirchgässner began to work as designer for the City Hall of Curitiba on June 25th, 1916, staying at the Department of Urbanism until his retirement. In 1929 he travelled to Berlin, where he has got his degree as architect. He died in Curitiba on August 19th, 1988.
Frederico Kirchgässner House (1930).
Kirchgässner designed and built his own house in 1930, a year that marks the first manifestation of modernist architecture in Curitiba. This house is a small masterpiece, the deployment and distribution of the program, the care with which the technique used to built it, the gateways and the use of the roof deck, and the refinement in every detail of the house, from the frames to the furniture.
Bernardo Kirchgässner House (1936).
Kirchgässner designed his brother's house which was his second modernist project with a simpler design. The house has a slope to the back of the lot and presents an interesting composition of volumes. Seeking sunshine on three sides of the house, the architect raised a blind wall on the left e boundary of the lot, which orientation is south.
Portugal Street Building (1958)
The building of the Portugal Street has detailed architecture with Art Deco reminiscences. It was built with no independent structure of reinforced concrete. This four-storey building was deployed occupying all limits of the site.
terça-feira, 16 de março de 2010
segunda-feira, 15 de março de 2010
domingo, 14 de março de 2010
sábado, 13 de março de 2010
sexta-feira, 12 de março de 2010
quinta-feira, 11 de março de 2010
Congratulations Eric! I wish a long and prosper life for the Paris Daily Blog! My humble homage was to try to do a picture of the Cathedral Basilica Menor de Curitiba in a similar approach that Eric has done to the Saint Jean-Baptiste de Belleville.
Click here to view thumbnails for all participants
quarta-feira, 10 de março de 2010
terça-feira, 9 de março de 2010
segunda-feira, 8 de março de 2010
domingo, 7 de março de 2010
sábado, 6 de março de 2010
sexta-feira, 5 de março de 2010
quinta-feira, 4 de março de 2010
quarta-feira, 3 de março de 2010
In front of the Palácio de Cristal of the Círculo Militar at Conselheiro Araujo street in Curitiba, I photographed this "Filho da Liberdade" (Son of the Liberty). I searched the internet and th "Filhos da Liberdade" is a brotherhood founded in January 1998, whose goal is "respect among its brothers and motorcycling as a lifestyle," as the text of the site of the brotherhood.